How do I create my own forum like this?

This is a general discussion area. Strictly non-scam related though! Use the appropriate sections for that topic.

Moderators: HH, Saul, Sasha

Saul
The Editor
The Editor

Re: How do I create my own forum like this?

Post by Saul » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 am

Head over to www.phpbb.com and you can download the forum software for free. You will however need somewhere to host your site, register a domain name or perhaps place it in a sub directory of a domain you already own. You don't need to be an expert but it helps to have a knowledge of php and MySQL although it's not essential to get your forum online. There are also plenty of free templates you can download and use.
Saul
Antiscam Admin
Saul
The Editor
The Editor

Post by Saul » Thu May 26, 2011 8:29 pm

I think this may be what your looking for ?

http://www.forumotion.com/
Saul
Antiscam Admin
Saul
The Editor
The Editor

Post by Saul » Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 am

Yes you can change skins. They are called "styles" :)

I have changed the look of this forum a few times over the last ten years. It helps to give your site a new look from time to time in order to keep it fresh.
Saul
Antiscam Admin
Saul
The Editor
The Editor

Post by Saul » Mon May 30, 2011 6:21 pm

That's good to know :) Ask away and I will help if I can.
Saul
Antiscam Admin
Saul
The Editor
The Editor

Post by Saul » Mon May 30, 2011 10:05 pm

No changing the styles/skins does not affect the content. All content is held in a MySQL database and the pages for the forum are generated on the fly so, the actual content is separate from the pages that hold and display that content, if that makes any sense?

phpbb is ideal for what you want to do. You may also want to take a look at Joomla which is the software we use for the front end of Antiscam. There's a bit of a learning curve in order to set it up and admin but once you get your head around it, it's an incredibly powerful and versatile content management system and it has loads of modules you can add such as forums and e-commerce. The best thing is, it's completely free! Take a look over at www.joomla.org
Saul
Antiscam Admin